The Higashi Honganji complex, officially known as Shinshū Honbyō, presently covers an area of 93,140 square meters (about 23 acres), and is divided into two sections. The first includes the Founder's Hall and Amida Hall with their precincts, while the second covers several pavilions (inner halls). The first area, mainly used for ceremonies and other religious activities, is enormous so that as many followers as possible are able to attend. Like these two halls, the rebuilding of the pavilions took place during the Meiji period (1868-1912), following the original construction style of the Edo period (1603-1867). These are still utilized for both followers and visitors alike.
|Address||Karasuma Shichi-jō Agaru, Shimogyō-ku, Kyoto 600-8505, Japan|
|Access||7 min. walk from JR Kyoto Station
5 min. walk from Karasuma Subway, Gojō Station
1 min. walk from Karasuma Shichijō bus stop
|Visiting Hours||Mar–Oct. 5:50 am – 5:30 pm
Nov–Feb. 6:20 am – 4:30 pm